These records were deposited on permanent loan per Rev A B Webster, Administrative Officer, Mersey Province, United Reformed Church, URC Provincial Office, The Annexe, Trinity with Palm Grove Church, Birkenhead L43 1UZ, on 7 August 1991 (ref 1991-11).
Records less than 30 years old are available only with the consent of the depositor. Requests for access should be made to the current Moderator of the Mersey Province (address available from the Provincial Office).
Administrative / biographical background:
Now Walton Trinity URC, the 'Walton' element was also used by the church from its inception up to 1926 after which it describes, itself as Trinity Presbyterian Church, Orrell Park, presumably to distinguish itself from the church in Lynwood Rd (which later - 1972 - became Walton URC). At the formation of the URC (1972) it was known as Trinity Orrell Park URC (Pres).
In the early seventies the church had a close relationship with three Methodist churches - Brook Rd, Longmoor Lane and Warbreck Moor to the extent that it was decided (17 Oct 1972) to use a separate minute book to record joint business. The Brook 6 minute book (7/2 below) notes at the 1976 AGM the progress of talks with the other four free churches in Walton Vale " ... over a united witness ... ".
According to a newspaper cutting (2/1, folio 103) the congregation started in 1881, meeting in Walton Institution, with the first communion roll in 1882 (see 6/1 below) being followed by the erection of the "Iron Church" (sold amid much controversy - see 6/3 and 6/5 at the end of 1895). The permanent church built after this was destroyed by bombing on 3 and 4 May 1941.
After its establishment, the church also ran mission activities in the area, with services held in school premises in Northcote Road (where a Sunday School was held), and in Stalmine Road.