Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
Transferred from Stoke Newington Reference Library in May 1983.
Conditions of deposit: Donation by R. Hingston Fox.
Administrative / biographical background:
The School was founded about 1846 by one Mr Giles, a former City Missionary. With the help of friends he leased a house on the north side of Stoke Newington Common. This rapidly became too small for the numbers of children attending, and after a public meeting held in 1850, presided over by Lord Ashley (later Earl of Shaftsbury), subscriptions were raised for the construction of a new school. This was opened in 1854 near Sandford Lane.
The school continued until the formation of the London School Board. In 1872 the premises were leased to the Board and Messrs Fox and Forsaith were designated lessors. The Trustees continued to be responsible for cleaning and repairs and for this reason the accounts continue beyond the date of the lease.