This accession comprises the older evidences of title, feoffment deeds and leases of the Brixton Feoffee Lands Charity. Although groups of feoffees appear to have been appointed as early as 1484/5, there is no clear mention of a charity in these records until 1596 (1277/15) when feoffees were appointed to hold property for the care and maintenance of Brixton parish church. The purpose of the charity becomes fixed in 1616 when it is specified (1277/16/3) that land is held for the repair of the church, maintenance of the poor and discharge of common charges on the charity's lands.
The records show the development of Brixton village and illustrate the local social structure.
The deposit has been arranged chronologically rather than by property, in order to reflect the way in which the trustees arranged the records. The collection (particularly of leases) is by no means complete and it is often difficult to distinguish properties.
The majority of land held by the charity lies in the eastern part of Brixton village - see map. The estate of Torr near Yealmpton in the parish of Newton Ferrers was also included as was Wardscombe (alias Bearscombe) in the parish of Modbury.