Catalogue description Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue S

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of AMSS
Reference: AMSS
Title: Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue S

Since it opened, East Sussex Record Office has maintained a collection of 'Additional Manuscripts' for accessions which are not assigned, or are not accrued to existing collections which have, a distinctive alphabetic reference based on the collection's title. The Additional Manuscripts collection is now known as AMS


Some of these accessions added to AMS have been returned to A2A as free-standing catalogues. The residue are being returned as a series of catalogues, each covering a range of AMS numbers. The summary list below covers all the accessions within that range, with notes against those which are the subject of separate catalogues or which have been transferred to other collections or other repositories. The main body of the catalogue notes only the reference and the fact of the separate catalogue or the transfer


Summary of contents


AMS6051 Photograph of John Gilbert's cricket team, Sheffield Park, Fletching, 1886


AMS6052 Annotated catalogue of stock at Glebe Farm, Framfield; Mrs Eyre; 1926


AMS6053 John F Kennedy Charitable Trust (Forest Row and Chelwood Gate); minutes and accounts, 1964-1984


AMS6054 Sale particulars: Charles Lynn deceased (5 and 13 Brunswick Square, 16 Canon Place, 4 Montpelier Terrace, Castle Street, Atlingworth copyhold in London Road), 1830; letter from William Holloway of Rye re his work on Romney Marsh, 1846; plan of the Rosehill estate, Brightling, from sales particulars, 1877; photograph of Crowhurst Park showing the Rev T H Papillon and family, nd ?1880


AMS6055 Crow, Watkin & Watkin of Dorking, Surrey, estate agents and surveyors, 1907-1985: Lord Eldon's estates: Walsh Manor Crowborough, 1907; Arbuthnot: timber of Plaw Hatch estate, East Grinstead, 1916; Standard Hill Farm, cottages and brick and the works, Ninfield, 1938; Whidborne settled estates: Owletts Farm and Dog Cottages, Hammerwood in East Grinstead, 1946; Akehurst and Stenning Farms in Copthorne, 1957; Howborne (formerly Tregolds) Farm and cottage, Buxted, 1958; MacAndrew: Hadlow Down estate (Huggetts Furnace Mill, Derridge, Hastingford, Little Ease and Coes Farms, Ford Brook and cottages, 1958; Saint Hill in East Grinstead, Home Farm, North Lodge and 6-7 Saint Hill Green, 1958; Watlands estate, Scaynes Hill (Watlands House, Farm, Lodge and cottage, Clearwater cottage, Orchard cottage, Ham Farm, Anworth Croft and Butterbox cottage, Pegden Farm and cottage, 1959; Humphreys: White Coppice and Nordens Green Farms in High Hurstwood, Buxted, 1960; Salehurst Fruit Farm, Knights Shaw Holding, Holly Cottage, Knights Cottage and two other cottages, 1960; Broxmead estate Cuckfield: Broxmead House, Farm, cottages, Barnsnape, Moorfields, Westup, Millfields Farms, Merryfields House and Slough Green House, Fowlers Cottage, 1961; Colebrook: Hadlow Down estate, 1962; Upper Wilting Farm, Hollington, 1963; Fitzgerald: Heathfield Park, Orchard Cottages, Home Farm buildings and North Lodge, 1963; British Railways: 30, 68 and 70 Braybrooke Road Hastings, 134, 142-146 and 152 West Hill Road St Leonards, 16 and 18 High Street Polegate, 2-3 Railway Cottages Heathfield, gatehouse 16 at Plumpton, site of Milton Street gatehouse in Berwick and gatehouse 19 at Hamsey, 1968; Mid-Sussex Water Co: Norton Farm in Bishopstone, Clayton Court and Whitelands Farms and cottage in Keymer, and 117a in Clayton, Ditchling, Hamsey, Cuckfield and Lingfield, 1969; Tollemache: Pell estate in Wadhurst and Ticehurst: Lucks Farm, Lime Trees Cottage and Yew Tree Cottage at Cousleywood, Great Pell, Little Pell, Darbys' Upper Walland Farms, 2 Darbys Cottges, Normanswood Farm, 2 Wood Cottages, Upper Tolhurst Farm, Stonegate and Hammerden Farms and Hammerden Cottages in Ticehurst, with 53a; 1970; St Francis School Little Common Bexhill, 1973; Wadhurst Park in Wadhurst and Mayfield, 1974; Padgham Farm Ewhurst, 1975; Wych Cross Place Farm, Suttons Farm and cottages, Three Chimneys Cottage, Ryse Farm Cottage, Ryse Cottage, School Farmhouse, Divals and 42a in Forest Row, Maresfield and Horsted Keynes, 1975; Storrers Farm Ticehurst, 1975; Brightling Park estate: 1-4 Twelve Oaks Cottages and 1-6 Longhouses Cottages Brightling, 1976; Ashburnham-Clement, Broomham estate Guestling: Broomham, Copshall, Fraysland, Pickham, Halfhouse Farms, Park Cottgae, Kennel Cottage and 398a, 1977; A Beeston: Hoddern Farm Piddinghoe, 1977, Eatons Farm Ashurst Wood, 1979; Worsham Farm estate: Worsham, Glovers, Ingrams, Preston Hall, Holmes Farms in Bexhill, Millers Farm Battle, Castle Farm Winchelsea and 303a in Pevensey, Bexhill, Crowhurst and Battle, 1979; Tye Farm and cottages, Hartfield, 1980; Danny estate: Little Danny, Randolphs, Wanbarrow, Washbrooks, Clayton Court, Coldharbour Farms, 1 Foxhole Cottages, 3 Bedlam Street Cottages, Danny House, The Dell and 290a in Hurstpierpoint, Clayton, Keymer and Pyecombe, 1980; Stone Court Estate in Staplefield, 1981; Normanhurst Estate in Catsfield, 1983; 33a at Sheepfold Farm Newhaven, 1985


AMS6056 Rental of the manor of Framfield with occupiers' names, 1753


AMS6057 Photographs of shop front of William Wisden & Son, Cricket Outfitters, 26 Duke Street, Brighton, c1900, with other group photographs, c1900


AMS6058 Copy of Rye, Playden and Udimore tithe apportionments, annotated to show changes in ownership to c1870; cuttings and details of letting of Rye Borough lands, 1849-1870; notice of sale of 940a in Rye, Iden, Playden, Udimore, East Guldeford and Winchelsea


AMS6059 The George Cafe, formerly the Gainsborough Lady Snack Bar, latterly a greengrocer's shop, 74 George Street, Brighton (Davis freeholder; leasehold title: Mack-Marsh-Eley-Whittick-Downing-Cooke), 1944-1956


AMS6060 Mellifount, Chailey (Blaauw-Foster-de Wolff), 1886-1970, with particulars of Beechlands estate, 1920, and sale off to Turnham of land at Station Road, 1965


AMS6061 Photocopy of deed of Willetts at Muddles Green, Chiddingly (Goring-Evans; Davies-Watts-Stredwick-Richardson, enfranchised freehold of the manor of Chiddingly), 1602-1913


AMS6062 Recollections of Hartfield by George Jenner, carpenter, builder and parish clerk (1817-1896); incumbents of Hartfield (Slade, Jowett and Polehampton), church-music, his rebuilding of church and school, Hartfield Fair, railway, ropemaking, Ashdown Forest, Methodist Chapel, parish gaol; Hartfield houses and their inhabitants; nd, c1890


AMS6063 Booklet 'Bygone Herstmonceux from Old Photographs' pub 1982


AMS6064 Saunders Foundation Secondary School, Uckfield: school magazines, 1925-1930; photograph of pupils and staff, 1928


AMS6065 Candle factory in Spring Gardens, Brighton (Breach-Scutt-Lidbetter-Clack-Bridgman-Creasy-Baker, includes freehold and Atlingworth copyhold sold by Martin to Clack, 1818, and a settlement of 123 Broad Street Brighton, a house on the corner of Burlington St and St Georges Rd Brighton, and brookland in Henfield), 1800-1847


AMS6066 Settlements on the marriages of Sarah Joanna Murray with Charles Ashburnham in 1832 and Godfrey Webster in 1851; details of Latium Plantation in St James, Jamaica, including compensation for slaves, listed in detail; detailed schedule of tenants and rents on the Webster estate in Battle, Catsfield, Sedlescombe, Westfield, Whatlington, Bexhill, Hooe and Ewhurst, 1843; details of furniture at Battle Abbey purchased from Lady Charlotte Webster, 1853; lease of Court Lodge, New House, Church Cottage and land at Mountfield, Nicoll-Webster, with details of rebuilding at Court Lodge to the designs of GT Cloutt of Hawkhurst, and of fixtures at New House and Church Cottage, 1853


AMS6067 A Commentarie Upon the Epistle of Saint Paule to Philemon by William Attersoll, Minister of the word of God at Isfield; printed by William Jaggard, 1612


AMS6068 Album of photographs showing the interior and exterior of Ashburnham Place, Ashburnham Church, members of the family and servants; nd c1900


AMS6069 Wadhurst Fat Stock Show AGM and committee minutes, 1928-1938, 1952-1966; sale catalogue of exhibits, 1929; statement of accounts, 1959


AMS6070 Letter from John Batcheler of Rye from Cowes to his wife, 1831


AMS6071 Photograph of the yard of the Star Forge, Fisher Street, Lewes with staff and customers, nd 1922


AMS6072 House, barn and 3a Bunces Cottage in Warbleton (Levett-Walker- Norden, mortgage to Stace), 1712; plan of Silverlea, Pevensey Bay, by Charles Nicholas, nd pre-1925


AMS6073 Probate of will (10 Feb 1845) of Mary Ann Gilbert of Eastbourne, 1845


AMS6074 Map of Rye Harbour, 1843


AMS6075 High Holmstead in Warbleton: tenant right valuation, 1857; photographs, c1930; apprenticeship, Delves-Streatfield, wheelwright, 1902; executors of Nelson Delves: annotated catalogue for sale at Cophall Farm Polegate, 1928; executors accounts with trading account for Cophall, Sayerland and Rosebank Farms Polegate, 1927-1929; photographs of Cophall Farm, c1930, and of Nelson Delves with farm workers, c1914


AMS6076 Archive of Nehemiah Wimble of Lewes, (1778-1843): 1784 edition of Fox's Book of Martyrs with family details, 1780-1832; sketch of the arms of Edwards of Portslade, 1787; description of the arms of the Rickson, Hollis and Parkins families, c1800; deyails of the marriage and children of NW's brother John Wimble, c1820; print of The Friars, Lewes, published by Baxter, 1826; grant of arms and correspondence with William Berry, 1830-1831; pedigree of Wimble from Berry's Sussex Genealogies, 1834, with further genealogical papers


AMS6077 13 Suffolk Place, Brighton (Smith-Sweetman-Button), 1854


AMS6078 Deeds of Rosebank Cottage, Boreham Street in Wartling (Badcock-Avery-Holland-Dawes-Pilbeam-Prickett-Mercer-Ade-Gilbert-Barnes-Hewitt-Martin), 1752-1982


AMS6079 Extracts of feudal tenures: knights' fees in the rape of Hastings, 1347-1348; tenure of the honor of Hastings by Alice countess of Eu, and fees held by Robert de Hastings, c1200; fees held by William de Hastings, 1361-1362; fees in the rape of Hastings held of Lord Hastings, 1469; list of suitors at the Lathe court of the Rape of Hastings and of common fines, 1469


AMS6080 Heathfield Park estate: maps by Thomas Weller, 1785 and William Figg, 1819


AMS6081 Account and memorandum book of Joseph Marten of Tyes Farm Cuckfield (including a tithe rental for the northern part of Cuckfield), Isfield (including overseers' material) and Wick Street Farm Firle, 1775-1818


AMS6082 Lewes Waterworks Company: printed report and prospectus, 1832; sketches for company seal, 1833; share waste-book, 1832-1858


AMS6083 Appointment of trustees of will of Elizabeth Grace Robinson of Brighton, widow: working papers of F O Martin of Lincolns Inn and the Charity Commission; descriptions of Bristol and Richmond Yorks; 1865-66


AMS6084 Mariner's register ticket 78056 of Friend Paine of Brighton, fisherman, 1844


AMS6085 'Montrose' and Montrose Nursery, Queens Road, Crowborough, copyhold of Rotherfield (Fry-Billings-Rofe-Hoath-Burrows; includes sales off to Brown in 1891, ESCC in 1973 and Bennett and Constable Ltd in 1973); 1831-1984


AMS6086 Stone, Barclay and Bell-Irving families of Mayfield: lease of house in Southover (Stone-Windus), 1814; lease of tolls of the Fletching Street Gate, Mayfield (Mayfield & Wadhurst Turnpike trustees-Verrall), 1823; letterbooks of Donald Barclay, solicitor, 1833, 1838-1839; lease of tolls of the Tunbridge Wells and other gate (Mayfield and Wadhurst Turnpike trustees-Sinnott), 1840; deeds of Pound House, a cottage and Sunnybank in Mayfield (Penkhurst-Maplisden-Rose-Martin-Gallett-Luck-Stone-Barclay; includes Martin property in Rotherfield, a plan of Pound House by Thomas Weller, 1806 and settlement on the marriage of Donald Barclay and Elizabeth Stone, 1831); 1658-1841; Longs Farm Mayfield (Nevill-Cade-Luck; Mate; Barclay), 1591-1725; house and carpenter's shop in Mayfield High Street (Drinker-Baker-Fenner-Barclay), 1721-1844; Flat Field and Pen Field in Mayfield (Houghton-Brewer-Hooper-Wood-Rogers-Carrington-Barclay; includes whole estate of Thomas Houghton), 1668-1848; Stone and Bell Irving family settlements, 1824-1906; farm at Broad Reed, Mayfield (Nevill-Aynescombe-Maynard-Fowle-Moon; James-Moon), 1589-1737; Baker family estate at Tunbridge Wells (Purbeck-Constable-Cox-Baker), 1687-1688; assignment in bankruptcy of Robert Baker of Birchden in Rotherfield, ironmaster (commissioners-Constable, Britton, Christmas and Page), with schedule and details of estate in Rotherfield and Withyham, 1708; Coxhall in Lamberhurst - assignment in bankruptcy of George Baker of St Austell in Cornwall, grocer (assignees-Maynard), 1762; annuity on marriage of Peter F Papillon and Isabella Baker, 1808; award of Gainsford, Bulman, Goodwin and Paine, arbitrators in a dispute Cripps and Humphrey v Plaw, Ellis and Udall, over a lane in East Grinstead, assualt and battery, 1593; house at Canon Street Stepney (Page & Kennet-Wolfe), 1709; recovery, Ifield, Bolney and Cuckfield (Turner-Cranston-Coles), 1754


AMS6087 Map of Stephen Parker's Longs farm, Mayfield, by Anthony Everenden, 1640


AMS6088 Burwash Parish Notes, 1875-1897


AMS6089 Papers of Audrey Marion Collier as commandant of Wadhurst area Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD), including card-index of members enrolled 1924-1945; 1924-1948


AMS6090 Papers of K F Ascott, choirmaster and organist at Wadhurst, 1955-1975: notes of interviews with inhabitants of Wadhurst concerning family and parish history, taken 1959-1966; newscutting and photograph scrapbook of Wadhurst history, church and choir, 1963


AMS6091 Photograph album, Brighton Training College for Schoolmistresses, 95 Ditchling Road, 1917-20


AMS6092 Photograph of Barcombe Mills with ?a school visit in progress, ?1930s


AMS6093 East Hoathly parish papers with Turner diary at Yale University Library: East Hoathly Overseers' answers to census enquiry, 1811; draft census returns, 1801-1821; churchwardens', overseers' and headborough's vouchers, 1629-1693; overseer's disbursements, 1710-1711; churchwarden's account, 1722


AMS6094 Illustrated guide and souvenir of Pevensey, c1900


AMS6095 250 years of map making in the County of Sussex, 1575-1825 (published copies of county maps, 1575-1825)


AMS6096 Photograph of Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey team, 1937-1938


AMS6097 Buxted tithe map, 1840, annotated to show the parishes of High Hurstwood and Hadlow Down; sales particular plan of Rocks Farm, Buxted, 1877


AMS6098 Insurance plan of Brighton by C E Goad, showing trades carried out on each site; also includes details of water-supply and wells; 1898


AMS6099 1-inch OS sheet 134 overprinted with Cassini Grid for use by Civil Defence; nd, c1938


AMS6100 House, smiths shop and forge at Vinehall, Mountfield (Howard-Selmes-Smith-Allen-Smith-Worge), 1703-1730

Date: c1200-1985
Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

East Sussex Record Office, Lewes

Physical description: 50 Accessions
Access conditions:

Open to consultation unless otherwise stated

  • East Sussex
  • Land tenure

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research