1839: College founded by Henry (later Cardinal) Manning, Rector of Woolavington; Bishop Otter; and George Chandler, Dean of Chichester. The first principal is Charles Marriott (to March 1841), whose hardwriting begins the first log book (IX/1/1).
1841: Charles Marriott resigns as principal due to ill-health
1842: Henry Browne becomes principal (to November 1845).
1846: Bishop Freeman appointed principal in March, the college having suspended its operations since Henry Browne's resignation the previous November.
1854: Charles Anthony Swainson succeeds as principal
1870: Arthur Rawson Ashwell succeeds as principal, and the number of students soon increases. Some of his comments on the students are preserved in his register, continued by the next principal (Ep/IX/1/6). Canon Ashwell started a Guild of the Holy Road, later renamed the Guild of St. Faith, whose minute book for 1894-95 survives (Ep/IX/7/5/2).
1879: On the death of Canon Ashwell, William Awdry is appointed principal. The college continues to flourish under him.
1884: Alterations made to the Vicars' Hall - used by the college as a Lecture room and Library (see Ep/IX/10/1/1 & 2).
1886: Josiah Sanders Teulon succeeds as principal. The number of students gradually declines.
1889: College 50th jubilee celebrations
1899: Canon Teulon resigns the principalship but retains his residentiary canonry which creates financial problems for the college. At a meeting of the college council, it is resolved to meet the vice-principal with a view to winding-up the college. However, the vice-principal makes a successful case for continuing and Herbert Rickard is appointed the new principal.
1903: The hostel in West Street is bought for £1000 by the college council, the balance being paid by the principal in memory of his wife. This was refitted and became the college headquarters.
1914-18: During the latter part of the war the college was closed.
1918: Prebendary Rickard accepts the living of Amberley and Herman Leonard Pass takes his place as principal
1919: The hostel is sold and the proceeds go towards the purchase of new headquarters in Westgate for £3500. On May 1st. the college is formally re-opened by Bishop Ridgeway (his last episcopal act) and dedicated to S. Richard. An army hut, previously used as a church of wounded soldiers in Brighton (See Ep/IX/10/3/1-3) is re-erected by the new headquarters to serve as a chapel.
1920: The college acquires a three-year lease of a house opposite the college buildings and equips it as a hostel. The principal is appointed vicar of S. Bartholomew's - the parish in which the college stands - and the vicarage is also subsequently used as a hostel.
1922: First number of The Cicestrian, the college magazine
1925: Chichester Theological College Ltd. is incorporated. (For the minute books 1926-67, see Ep/IX/2/1 & 2.) Important Eastern prelates visit Chichester.
1927: The buildings in Westgate enlarged by the addition of the Bishop Ridgeway Memorial Wing (see Ep/IX/10/4/1).
1929: The college celebrates its 90th anniversary.
1930: The college acquires a short lease on 18 Westgate to provide extra accommodation for students.
1932: Charles Scott Gillett succeeds as principal
1934: The tenancy of 18 Westgate is relinquished, being replaced by 46 West Street
1935: The Ecclesiastical Commissioners buy the house at 3 Westgate, which is leased to the college and named 'Marriott House'. The vicarage and all but a few rooms hired as lodgings are given up.
1939: The college's centenary is celebrated
1941: The college is forced to move temporarily to Cambridge. About this time the buildings in Chichester are in use by the military authorities.
1942: The principal is invited to assume temporarily the duties of principal of the Edinburgh Theological College. Canon Gillett accepts, taking with him the remaining Chichester students from Cambridge.
1945: The college buildings are sold, with the exception of Marriott House.
1946: The college re-opens on 21st October at Marriott House with John Richard Humpidge Moorman as principal, Canon Gillett having resigned due to failing health. The new principal's journal is among the records (Ep/IX/1/8).
1956: Cheslyn Peter Montague Jones succeeds as principal (to 1969).
1959: The parish of S. Bartholomew is united with S. Paul's and the former parish church (of S. Bartholomew) becomes the college chapel.
1963: The Bp. of Chichester lays the foundation stone of the new college building
1965: The new building, Gillett House, is opened by the Archbishop of Canterbury. 19 Westgate is sold (26th May).
1968: On September 2nd the Feast of the New Guinea martyrs is celebrated and a memorial to Vivian Redlich - a sculpture of an owl, by Darsie Rawlins - is unveiled.
1970: Alan Bassindale Wilkinson succeeds as principal (to 1974).
1974: The Archbishop of Canterbury visits the college.
1975: Robert John Halliburton succeeds as principal
1982: John William Hind succeeds as principal.
1987: New buildings opened by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
1989: 150th anniversary celebrations
1991: Peter Gordon Atkinson succeeds as principal
1994: College closes.
Principals of the College:
1839-1841: Charles Marriott
1842-1845: Henry Browne
1846-1854: Philip Freeman
1854-1870: Charles Anthony Swainson
1870-1879: Arthur Rowson Ashwell
1879-1886: William Awdry
1886-1899: Josiah Sanders Teulon
1899-1918: Herbert Rickard
1918-1932: Herman Leonard Pass
1932-1946: Charles Scott Gillett
1946-1956: John Richard Humpidge Moorman
1956-1969: Cheslyn Peter Montague Jones
1970-1974: Alan Bassindale Wilkinson
1975-1982: Robert John Halliburton
1982-1991: John William Hind
1991-1994: Peter Gordon Atkinson