Catalogue description Incorporated Company of Goldsmiths, Newcastle
This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives
|Title:||Incorporated Company of Goldsmiths, Newcastle|
GU.GO/1/1-3 Minutes [including orders, receipts, apprenticeships], 1702 - 1867 (3 volumes)
GU.GO/2 Admissions Certificates, 1708 - 1916 (1 volume)
GU.GO/3-5 Correspondence, 1754 - 1880 (66 papers; 1 booklet)
GU.GO/6 Proposals and resolutions from meetings of the Body of Stewards, 1782 - 1857 (5 papers)
GU.GO/7/1-2 Bank Books, 1856 - 1885 (2 volumes)
GU.GO/8 Assay Office Ledgers, 1747 - 1854 (7 volumes)
GU.GO/9-10 Minor and Private Assays, 1855 - 1878 (3 volumes)
GU.GO/11-12 Assay Office Accounts, 1841 - 1877 (2 volumes)
GU.GO/13 Assay Office Punch Book, 1833 - 1881 (1 volume)
GU.GO/14-15 Duty tables of Assays in Gold and Silver, n.d [c.1830 - 1869] (4 volumes)
GU.GO/16-17 Acts/Bills relating to Goldsmiths Trade, 1737 - 1854 (15 booklets, 21 papers)
GU.GO/18-20 Papers relating to legal cases, c.1777 - 1871 (6 papers)
GU.GO/21-22 Papers relating to Town Moor Cases, 1773 - 1792 (2 papers)
GU.GO/28 Newcastle Town Moor Act, 1988 (1 file, 13 papers)
GU.GO/23 Newspaper articles regarding the Company of Freemen, 1869 and 1892 (2 papers)
GU.GO/24/1-2 Rules/Orders of the Stewards of the Company of Freemen of Newcastle, 1831, 1990 (1 paper, 1 booklet)
GU.GO/25-27 Papers relating to the Company of Freemen, Newcastle, 1831 - 1990 (5 papers)
|Date:||1702 - 1990|
|Held by:||Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||27 SERIES|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Accession 1021, 2352 and 2792
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The earliest reference to Goldsmiths in Newcastle are in the Pipe Rolls 1185/86. The Goldsmiths Company was formed in 1536 as part of the Goldsmiths, Plumbers, Glaziers, Pewterers and Painters [see GU/GP, for records]. At this time, there were too few Goldsmiths [around six] to form a company of their own. The Company initially met at the Marden Tower, West Walls.
In 1702, Newcastle Assay Office was established. The Assay Office was administered by the Goldsmiths according to the relevant Acts of Parliament. The Assay Master was elected on Head Meeting Day, by fellow Goldsmiths.
It was 1702 that the Goldsmiths began holding their own meetings, separate from the Plumbers, but it was not until 1717 that they formed the Goldsmiths Company.
The Assay Office was situated at 12, Dean Court, Dean Street. In 1854, the Company was meeting in a room adjacent to the Assay Office.
|Link to NRA Record:|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know