The contents of Hartwell House were sold by public auction in 1938. The records in the muniment room comprising a vast quantity of deeds and correspondence (Sotheby's Catalogue of 8th March 1939) were dispersed among dealers and private individuals. A few items were purchased by the County Council and many medieval deeds by the Bucks Archaeological Society.
Since that time, many of the records sold have found their way to the County Record Office through purchase and the agency of the British Records Association. In addition, the Bucks Archaeological Society transferred several boxes of Hartwell deeds in 1951 and Mrs. E.P. Chamberlain of Watlington, a member of the Lee family, has generously deposited several files of correspondence. (BAS deeds listed in separate index AR 17/89)
Unpublished finding aids:
Ref: Non - B. R. O. Catalogues number 65
"A Catalogue of Court Rolls, Rentals and Charters mainly of the 13th to 16th centuries from ... Hartwell House now the property of the Bucks Archaeological Society" .., by G.R. and E.M. Elvey, 1978 (type script). [Includes charters in Bodleian Library and charters, now unaccounted for, transcribed by F.G. Gurney. Most charters calendared.] Transferred to Bucks R.O., 1989.