This collection includes legal papers, property records, staff records, vinegar production records, financial records and printed material
This collection includes records of:
BEAUFOY AND COMPANY :
Trade Correspondence and Sales
Printed Matter and Photographs
BEAUFOY, GRIMBLE AND COMPANY, LONDON
PANTER, WOODWARD AND COMPANY, BRISTOL
CAMBRIAN VINEGAR COMPANY, LEEDS
CHAMPION AND SLEE LIMITED, LONDON
SARSONS LIMITED, LONDON
DUFRAIS AND COMPANY, LONDON
BRITISH VINEGARS LIMITED
BRITISH VINEGARS LIMITED : COLLECTIONS
The Minet Library holds correspondence of Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufoy (1786-1851) dating from 1847 to 1851. This mainly concerns the establishment of the Lambeth Ragged School built by Henry circa 1847 as a memorial to his wife Eliza. Records of the school itself are held in the Greater London Record Office (ref: A/BFY).
Records deposited on 21 April 1972 and 3 March 1977, Accession Nos. Ac72.30 and Ac77.29
Administrative / biographical background:
This collection contains records of various British vinegar producing companies that united to form British Vinegars Limited (BVL). Dates of amalgamation of the various companies with BVL are given in the development chart at the end of this introduction.
Records date from 1747 to 1960. The earlier and greater bulk of records concern Beaufoy and Company of South Lambeth which became part of BVL at its formation in 1932.
BEAUFOY AND COMPANY
Mark Beaufoy (1718-1782) established a manufactory of vinegar and 'mimicked wines' in the early 1740s at Cuper's Garden, south of the River Thames (see B/BFY/18-19). In 1810 the company moved to South Lambeth, between Vauxhall and Stockwell, on part of Noel Caron's estate. The Beaufoy family's connection with vinegar production ended in 1941 when George Maurice Beaufoy (1893-1941) was killed by enemy action in the yard.
The above and further information concerning Beaufoy and Company may be obtained from an article by Barbara Kerr, published in History Today July 1973, entitled 'The Beaufoys of Lambeth'.