B S and W Whiteley Ltd, paper and board manufacturers of Pool-in-Wharfedale
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited:D H Whiteley, Esq, Pool-in-Wharfedale and Harrogate 1981 and 1993
Administrative / biographical background:
The Whiteley family originated in the Halifax neighbourhood, where William Whiteley had a paper mill at Barkisland in 1866. He subsequently moved to Horsforth and then to Skyreholme, near Appletreewick, in 1875. In 1886 his three sons set up on their own at Pool-in-Wharfedale. Initially the business specialised in pressboards for the textile industry and developed into the production of insulating boards and papers for the electrical trades. "Elephantide" insulating board was its most successful product and by 1936 the mill at Pool had become the largest pressboard factory in the world. The business was incorporated as a private company in 1920 and went public in 1946. It was acquired by Swiss interests in 1981.