In addition to records of the Lavington Church, the collection listed here includes records of the North Devon Congregational Union; the meetings at Abbotsham, West Appledore and Westleigh; Wollacombe Independent Chapel; Morchard Bishop Congregational Church and Northam Congregational Church.
The records were deposited in the North Devon Record Office on 7 February 1990.
Administrative / biographical background:
The independent congregation in Bideford was established in the middle of the seventeenth century. The Congregation split in 1694 when the 'Little Meeting' built a chapel in the High Street and the 'Great Meeting' built a chapel in Bridgeland Street. The 'Little Meeting' closed in 1760 and most of the remaining members joined the 'Great Meeting'. A new chapel in Bridgeland Street, named after Rev. Samuel Lavington, was opened in 1859 and the church is now the Lavington United Reformed Church. (For the history of the church, see Lavington Panorama, N.D.A.)