|Administrative / biographical background:
H. F. Hartley, rayon, cotton, worsted and woollen manufacturers, in 1932 formed H. F. H. (Holdings) Ltd. In 1946 H. F. H. (Holdings) Ltd combined with Boardman and Smith Ltd., Peace Mill, Bradford, rayon, cotton, worsted and woollen manufacturers and Redman and Smith Ltd., Standard Mill, Crosshills, Keighley, rayon and cotton manufacturers to form H. F. Hartley Ltd., a public company.
In 1960 H. F. Hartley Ltd. took over George Turner and Co. Ltd., worsted spinners of Brighouse and Stockton, and in 1965 S. H. Rawnsley worsted suiting manufacturers of Birkshead Mills, Wilsden. They also had connections with a small mending firm in Morecambe (Lancashire).
In 1969 H. F. Hartley became a sub-group of the Allied Textile Companies Group. This sub-group now consists of the following components:-
a) H. F. Hartley Ltd., based at Crossflatts Mill, Bingley but having no looms. This section deals mainly with marketing, sales, warehousing and management for the sub-group;
b) S. H. Rawnsley Ltd., Birkshead Mills, Wilsden, which is the production unit, making worsted suitings and uniform cloths, many of which are exported to Iran and the United Arab Emirates.
c) Redman and Smith Ltd. with looms on Hartley's premises at Crossflatts, making furnishing fabrics.