T H White and Co Ltd, Devizes, Swindon and Marlborough, Wiltshire, ironmongers
Immediate source of acquisition:
T.H. White and Co. Ltd.
Administrative / biographical background:
The origins of the firm lie in two ironmongery businesses in The Brittox and Sidmouth Street, Devizes. It was founded c.1855 : a number of other undertakings were merged in it at various times and branches acquired at Swindon and Marlborough. The firm became a limited company in 1914 with Mr A.J. Salmon as managing director, a position he still occupied in 1952. Other businesses acquired included that of T. Pope Ltd of Marlborough and of William Box of Devizes. The firm has dominated the agricultural engineeering trade in the locality ever since.