The collection was given to the Chester City Record Office on 14 October 1982 by Mr J. Cadman, c/o Chester Cathedral office, Abbey Square, Chester.
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm of W. Haswell and Son was established in 1774. The early location of the business is uncertain, but it was definitely established in the Kaleyards, near the city wall, by the 19th century, and remained there until 1982. It then moved to Abbey Green, but closed in 1985.
The majority of the drawings and sketches in the collection relate to work undertaken by the firm. Apart from supplying tombstones, memorials and monuments for private customers, the firm also undertook restoration and repair work, especially in Chester cathedral. Most of the dated drawings cover the period from the 1880s to the 1920s and reflect the styles of memorials which were in favour at the time.