The firm of J Blake, bakers and confectioners, of 5 & 7 Watergate Row, was established in 1842.
In Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County Palatine of Chester, 1850, the firm is listed in Bridge Street Row, but later moved to Eastgate Row South. By the mid 1860s, the firm had moved again, to Watergate Row. In 1920, Blake's Cafe was opened at 12 Bridge Street. The cafe was closed in the mid 1930s.