Newport Grammar School was originally founded in 1442. In 1657 the school was refounded and endowed by William Adams of the Haberdashers' Company. The company were responsible for the running of the school until 1878 when under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners a body of managers was established to manage the school while the company remained as governors of the foundation. In 1910 the constitution of the managers was changed. The records listed here include copy deeds relating to the foundation of the school, a school register covering most of the nineteenth century, together with items relating to various pupil activities.