UDUl/1-28, Some of these documents, are too delicate to produce.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited by South Lakeland District Council on 27 May 1982.
Items UDUl/1-28 were transferred from the Lancashire Record Office, Preston on 28th February 1986.
Originally deposited at Preston Lancs Record Office, by the Clerk of the Urban District Council, 7 June, 1949 and transferred to Barrow in 1986
In 1986, Lancashire Record Office transferred several minute books (1871-1902) and 7 boxes of material to Barrow. These boxes contain title deeds of property, mainly in Furness, but also in Westmorland and Cumberland, dating from the seventeenth century. These items are listed separately after this list
Administrative / biographical background:
Ulverston Urban District Council was abolished in 1974 due to local government organisation and the area is now administered by South Lakeland District Council. The records rescued from the Town Hall include some from Ulverston Local Board and Ulverston Union. The Local Board was established in 1871 and lasted until 1894 when the UDC was formed due to government legislation. Between 1836 and 1871 the Ulverston Union, covering Furness, administered the poor law locally.
The records have come from the three council departments of clerk, treasurer and surveyor. The clerk's records include minutes of council meetings from 1902-1928, 1949-1974, and correspondence concerning a wide variety of matters including health, housing and staff. Also included are agreements, leases and bonds together with deeds from the LMS Railway concerning Ulverston Canal and adjacent properties.
Poor rate, general rate and highway rate books survive from 1872 but none of the series are complete. Other records from the treasurer include valuation lists; various ledgers; registers of town lands; gas, water and electricity records; correspondence files; and Overseers of the Poor minute books.
Plans, correspondence, contracts and bills of quantity for the Croftlands Park estate and main drainage scheme of the 1950's make up a large part of the surveyor's records. A series of letter books covering the years 1931-1955 and files concerning housing, health, salvage, civil defence and Coronation Hall improvements also survive.
The list is divided into three sections, one for each department. Within each section the records have been further divided into volumes and then boxes of files. These boxes have been box listed giving the title of each file. Some of the clerk's boxes have fuller lists which can be found at the end of the main descriptive list
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know