On 4 August 1996 Abbey National took over the National and Provincial Building Society and shortly afterwards began to make arrangements for the disposal of the records of that Society and its predecessors which were stored at its offices in Parker Lane, Burnley.
The National and Provincial had existed since 1982 following its change of name from the Provincial Building Society after the transfer of engagements of the Burnley Building Society earlier that year. The Burnley Building Society, incorporated in 1850, was, by 1911, not only 'by far the largest in the County of Lancashire... but the sixth in magnitude in the kingdom'. In 1968 it merged with the Borough Land and Building Society, another Burnley Society which, in 1911, was described as 'by far the largest Building Society registered under the Industrial and Friendly Societies Acts'. By process of amalgamation the functions and archives of these two Burnley Societies were united and those surviving in 1997 which have been deemed worthy of permanent preservation are listed in this catalogue.
A fairly complete set of minutes has survived for both Societies, but the survival of financial records is much less satisfactory. There were runs of fairly recent transaction-based records but, in view of the bulk of such records, the incompleteness of the series and the unsatisfactory results from sampling such records, it was decided to retain only the few listed here. Further information about the history and development of the two societies can be found in the archives themselves. For the history of the Burnley Building Society, see DDX 2153/1/8, and for the history of the Borough Building Society, see DDX 2153/2/5/1.