Christ Church Presbyterian Church, 1887-1972, Wallington
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the former secretary of Christ Church Wallington URC, on behalf of the Minister and Elders.
Administrative / biographical background:
In 1875 or 1876 a temporary hall was erected in Springfield Road, mission services being arranged by John Potter of Beddington. Although Potter was a Presbyterian, the mission was not attached to any denomination until the Committee of Management, founded in 1879, sought and gained recognition as a preaching station from the Presbytery of London. The Congregation was constituted as a regular church by the Presbytery in June 1880, and Christ Church Presbyterian Church came into being. A permanent church was founded in April 1887, and officially opened in November that year.
In 1972, with the unification of the Presbyterian and the Congregational churches to form the United Reformed Church, Christ Church was united with Holmwood Gardens Congregational Church to form Wallington United Reformed Church. The Committee of Management, having overseen the transition, met for the last time in March 1974, and its function was taken over by the Elders' Meeting.
As Christ Church and Holmwood Gardens churches were only some 300 yards apart, it was decided to sell the site of the former, and in 1992 the church was demolished.