All records closed for thirty years from the date of last entry.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited: January 1984, January 2001
Condition of deposit: loan
Deposited by : Mr C.A.R. Schooley, Secretary of the Charity and Brian Marsh on behalf of Shoreditch United Charities.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Charity consists of two combined charities which were not included under Shoreditch United Charities. By agreement of 31 October 1660 John Marshall and various inhabitants of the parish of Shoreditch, the latter were made Trustees of property in Shoreditch, which was to be demolished and rebuilt (premises on Kingsland Road, then called the Smith's House). In 1721 this property was demolished and became the Charity School, lasting until 1806 when the road was widened. In 1835 the charity yielded £18 pa, £4 of which were to be given in bread or money.
In his will of 24 October 1761 George Cranston of Shoreditch gave the interest of £4,200 for the use of the poor of Shoreditch not already in receipt of alms, to be administered by Trustees. In 1835 the charity yielded £126 distributed in money half yearly.
No property is now held by the Charity, all funds coming from investment.