Catalogue description Houghton le Spring Rural District Council
This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives
|Title:||Houghton le Spring Rural District Council|
Council and Committees
RD.HS/1/1-9 Sanitary Authority and District Council, minutes 1872 - 1880, 1903 - 1906, 1917 - 1920, 1924 - 1937 9 volumes
RD.HS/2/1-4 Finance Committee minutes 1897 - 1937 4 volumes
RD.HS/3/1-2 Highways Committee minutes 1896 - 1932 2 volumes
RD.HS/4/1-2 Hospital Committee minutes 1893 - 1936 2 volumes
RD.HS/16/1-4 Housing Committee minutes 1917 - 1936 4 volumes
RD.HS/5 Local Government Committee minutes 1929 - 1935 1 volume
RD.HS/6/1-2 Plans Committee minutes 1913 - 1937 2 volumes
RD.HS/7 Public Offices Committee minutes 1926 1 volume
RD.HS/8 Rating and Valuation Committee minutes 1926 1 volume
RD.HS/9 Sewage Scheme Committee minutes 1916 - 1934 1 volume
RD.HS/10 Special Committees minutes 1926 - 1936 1 volume
RD.HS/11 Coronation Sub-Committee minutes 1937 1 volume
RD.HS/12/1-3 Cash books 1931 - 1955 3 volumes
RD.HS/13/1-11 General ledgers 1874 - 1911, 1918 - 1939 11 volumes
Engineers and Surveyors Department
RD.HS/14 Building control plans 1919 - 1936 452 plans
Medical Officer of Health
RD.HS/15/1-2 Annual reports 1906 - 1930 2 volumes
For Mains Sewage Committee minutes, 1896 - 1937 (Joint Committee) see Hetton Urban District Council records, UD/He
For Medical Officer of Health reports 1931 - 1936, see Houghton le Spring Urban District Council Medical Officer of Health, UD/HS/29/2
|Held by:||Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||15 series|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Houghton RDC was formed in 1894, inheriting the functions of the former Rural Sanitary Authority which was set up under the Public Health Act, 1872. It comprised the following parishes - East and Middle Herrington, East Rainton, Great Eppleton, Little Eppleton, Moor House, Moorsley, Morton Grange, Newbottle, Offerton, Penshaw, Silksworth, Warden Law, West Herrington, West Rainton.
By both the Sunderland Corporation Acts of 1927 and 1935 parts of Silksworth CP were transferred to become part of Sunderland County Borough.
By the County of Durham Review Order, 1937, which came into operation on 1 April 1937, Houghton le Spring Rural District was abolished.
Great Eppleton, Little Eppleton, Moorsley and part of East Rainton civil parishes became part of Hetton Urban District. Part of East Rainton, part of Morton Grange, part of Newbottle, part of Penshaw, part of West Herrington and part of West Rainton joined Houghton le Spring Urban District.
Moor House, part of Morton Grange and part of West Rainton civil parishes became part of Durham Rural District. Warden Law became part of Easington Rural District. East and Middle Herrington, Offerton, Silksworth, part of Newbottle, part of Penshaw and part of West Herrington civil parishes became part of Sunderland Rural District.
The R.D.C. participated in the North-East Durham Joint Town Planning Committee (see UD/Bo/12-16) and was one of the constituent authorities in the Houghton le Spring and Hetton Joint Smallpox Hospital Board (see HB/HSH)
|Link to NRA Record:|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know