Records of the Brixton Hill Methodist Circuit, Mostyn Road Methodist Circuit, Streatham and Dulwich Methodist Circuit Thornton Heath United Methodist Circuit and related churches.
These records were found at the Downsview Church, Thornton Heath, part of the Streatham and Dulwich Circuit.
The Brixton Hill Circuit was formed in 1861 emerging from the Lambeth Circuit. The Brixton Hill Wesleyan Chapel had begun in a cottage in Coldharbour Lane in 1820. A chapel was erected in 1824 on the site of the present church on the west side of Brixton Hill between Endymion Road and Elm Park. The Circuit included, at various times, churches at Mostyn Road, Walworth, Sydenham, Gipsy Hill, Westow Hill, Barry Road, Lordship Lane, Roupell Park, Streatham, and West Norwood, with mission halls at Lyham Road, Dulwich Road and Eardly Road Streatham. The Mostyn Road Circuit was formed by division from the Brixton Hill Circuit in 1871 with chapels at Mostyn Road, Barry Road, Lordship Lane, Jessop Road Walworth, Herne Hill and Southampton Street, with mission halls at South Street and Nelson Street.
The Barry Road Circuit was formed from the Mostyn Road Circuit in 1936.
The bulk of the records are of the Moffattt Road United Methodist Free Church, Thornton Heath, which became the Downsview United Methodist Church in the 1930's.The records of the two churches have been listed together.
Because of the complicated and changing structure of the Methodist circuits (and because this was the way they were found), circuit records are listed first, then the records of individual churches. For a further explanation of the structure and history of Methodist circuits in South London see IV/55.