The first works of the undertaking belonged to the Stalybridge Gas Co established in 1829. The works were at Micklehurst and were built by G Emmott, gas engineer at Oldham. In 1884 an agreement was made between Stalybridge Corporation and The Local Board of Mossley for the purchase of the Stalybridge Gas Co and in 1885 the undertaking was divided between the two authorities and run jointly. By 1925 however, the works were too small and inefficient to satisfy demand and proposals were made for a new gasworks to supply Mossley Corporation. Objections were raised by Saddleworth UDC but were rejected in the House of Lords. The new site was at Roaches and required a great deal of leveling and alteration before the works could be built. The works at Roaches opened in 1931. In 1934 Mossley Corporation sold the undertaking to the newly formed Mossley and Saddleworth Gas Co Ltd. which was then absorbed by the holding company Gas Consolidation Ltd (Severn Valley Gas Corporation Ltd and Palatine Gas Corporation Ltd). In 1949 the undertaking vested in the North Cheshire Group of the NWGB.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know