Messrs Cowans, Sheldon Ltd., London Road, Carlisle
This collection includes partnership records; drawing books and registers; a memoranda book; cloth tracing record books; order books; enquiry registers; tests record book; weight books; Engineers' calculation books; miscellaneous papers.
Cowans Sheldon was founded by John Cowans and Edward Sheldon, both of Newcastle upon Tyne and ex-apprentices of Robt. Stephenson & Co., in 1846. They opened at Woodbank Ironworks (s. of Upperby) on the Petteril in 1847. Expansion led to the purchase of their present site in 1857, and removal to it in 1869.
In June 1961 they merged with Clyde Crane & Booth, and in August 1968 they merged with Clarke Chapman & Co. Ltd. as part of its Crane & Bridge Division.