Bury St. Edmunds Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Co. Ltd.
Besides recording the history of the Company, the documents are useful in giving the names, addresses and occupations of many of the local tradesmen of the period. Also the correspondence contains a few incidental references to local events, for example: a window was smashed during a riot in Bury on 14th May, 1915, and another as a result of victory celebrations on 8th May, 1945.
Bury St Edmunds Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Company Ltd, 1897-1964, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, insurance brokers
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were deposited on 20th August, 1964 in accordance with a resolution passed at the last meeting of the Company on 10th August.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Company was founded in 1897. It went into voluntary liquidation because it was felt that it could not compete with the larger Insurance Companies and that it ought to wind up while it had a good reserve of funds. The registered office was first at 58, and later at 39, Abbeygate Street, Bury St. Edmunds.