The Seymour estate in Plymouth was created by the marriage in 1789 of the first Baronet Sir Michael Seymour of Limerick, Ireland, and Jane Hawker, daughter of Captain James Hawker, of the wine merchant family, of Plymouth. It was further strengthened by the marriage of their eldest son the 2nd Baronet, Sir John Hobart Seymour, in 1833, to Elizabeth Culme, the daughter and co-heir of the Reverend Thomas Culme of Tothill, Plymouth. When Elizabeth died in 1841 Sir John assumed the name Culme-Seymour.
The estate comprised land at Mannamead and Compton, as well as Lipson and Tothill. Much of the property in Mannamead was sold for housing development in the mid-nineteenth century, and by 1900 Tothill fields had disappeared under a mass of terraced housing and railway sidings to Friary Station and Sutton Harbour.