Transferred to the Archives on 19th October 1984. Further records were transferred by Miss E. M. Stockton, Secretary to the Hospital's League of Friends, on 8th October 1992.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Mildmay Mission Hospital has its origins in the work of The Rev. William Pennefeather and his team of Christian women, later known as Deaconesses, who began their work of visiting the sick of the East End during the Cholera outbreak of 1866. The first Medical Mission Hospital opened in 1877 and moved to its present site in Hackney Road in 1892. The Hospital was recognised for the training of nurses in 1883. In 1948 it was incorporated into the National Health Service as part of the North East Metropolitan Regional Board's Central (No. 5) Group of Hospitals and transferred in 1966 to the East London Group. In 1974 it became part of the Tower Hamlets Health District. Throughout its existence the Mildmay has stressed its role as a Christian centre as well as a General Hospital. The Hospital closed at the end of 1982: it has now re-opened outside the National Health Service as a facility for HIV/AIDS patients and their families.