Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
Frederick Glover and Son, 1878-1935, art colour dyers and dry cleaners
Glovers (Dyers and Cleaners) Ltd, 1935-1984
Closed for 30 years from last date of document.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Date of deposit: 13 March 1985 (D/B/GLO/2-7)
24 October 1985 (D/B/GLO/1)
Deposited by: Dr F.R. Glover (D/B/GLO/1)
Mr V.M. Winchcombe (D/B/GLO/2-7)
Condition of deposit: deposit (indifinite loan)
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm is believed to have been established in 1820. Directories show a number of dyers named Glover with businesses in Hackney and Stoke Newington from 1843 onwards. 1878 is the first listing of Frederick Glover, dyer (later dyer and cleaner) at 5, Lea Bridge Corner, Lower Clapton Road. The firm later became Frederick Glover & Son, art colour dyers and dry cleaners. In 1935 it became a limited company: Glovers (Dyers & Cleaners) Ltd.
The main premises were at the rear of Nos 210 - 212 Lower Clapton Road (formerly Nos 6 and 5 Lea Bridge Corner). At various times the firm had branches in Mare Street, Oldhill Street, Victoria Park Road, Lauriston Road and Lea Bridge Road, Hackney; Church Street, Stoke Newington; and in Westminster, Hampstead, Chingford, Walthamstow, Wood Green, Epping, Waltham Abbey and elsewhere.
In 1973 the company ceased trading, following the demolition of the premises at Lower Clapton Road for a new roundabout. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1984.