This catalogue should be read in conjunction with the Reading borough quarter sessions (R/JQ) catalogue, as a number of petty sessions records were deposited with the borough clerk of the peace, and have therefore been catalogued with the borough collection.
The Reading Borough petty sessions records are catalogued here, rather than in the borough collection, because they came into the custody of the Clerk to the Justices of Reading magistrates court (the successor jurisdiction to the borough) after the Courts Act, 1971.
COURT IN SESSION : Court registers, 1902-1959; juvenile court registers, 1933-1959; pardons, 1940.; REGISTRATION AND DEPOSIT : registers of alehouse licences, 1869-1961; registers of clubs, 1903-1962; miscellaneous licensing papers, 1903-1963; registers of premises licensed for music and dancing, 1926-1964.; ADMINISTRATION : minutes of special sessions and special meetings of the justices, 1883-1960; minutes of the licensing committee, 1905-1960; minutes of the licensing finance and compensation committee, 1905-1917; minutes of the compensation authority, 1909-1951; minutes of the compensation committee, 1940-1951; minutes of the compensation and confirming committee, 1952-1960; minutes of the probation committee, 1937-1960; minutes and agenda papers of the probation case committee, 1964-1965; minutes of the juvenile court panel, 1933-1960; minutes of magistrates' courts committee, 1952-1960; fines and fees, 1919-1938, 1959; fines, 1939-1959; justices'oaths of allegiance and declarations, 1901-1920; minutes of meetings of the Reading justices' club, 1947-1958; correspondence relating to the Home Office Departmental Committee on Criminal Statistics, 1963-1967; miscellanea, 1951-1958..
In 1855, Reading borough covered the parish of St Lawrence in entirety, and most of the parishes of St Giles and St Mary. The following areas, amongst others, came under the jurisdiction of the Reading County petty sessional division : Southcote (part of the parish of St Mary), Whitley (part of the parish of St Giles), Tilehurst (including Calcot).
Subsequently the borough was extended, notably by the Local Government Board's Provisional Order Confirmation (No. 11) Act 1911. After this date Southcote, Whitley, and parts of Tilehurst (but not Calcot) came within the borough jurisdiction, as did Caversham, which was previously part of the Henley petty sessional division, Oxon.