|Administrative / biographical background:
This branch of the Yarborough family originated in Yarborough, Lincolnshire. Edmund Yarborough of Balne Hall, the great-grandson of Charles Yarborough of Yarborough, married Sarah, one of the co-heirs of Thomas Wormley of Cusworth and Hatfield. They had two sons: Sir Nicholas Yarborough of Balne, from whom are descended the Yarboroughs of Heslington, and Thomas Yarborough (1624-1697), who settled in Campsall in the early seventeenth century after purchasing the estate of the Fletchers of Brayton Hall.
Thomas Yarborough served as a Justice of the Peace and a Deputy Lieutenant of the West Riding. He married twice. His first wife, Ann, the daughter of Thomas Ellis of Nothill, Bedfordshire, died without issue in 1682. By his second wife, Mary, the daughter of Edmund Watson of Haigh Hall, South Kirkby, he had six sons: Thomas (1687-1772), Edmund, barrister-at-law (1688-1764), William (1689-1690), Henry, rector of Tewing, Hertfordshire (1691-1774), Nicholas, a merchant (1693-1731), and Francis, Principal of Brasenose College and Rector of Aynho, Northamptonshire (1694-1770).
Thomas Yarborough II inherited the estate in Campsall on the death of his father. He was responsible for the building of a new house called Campsmount, 1752-1756, and of a home farm to the designs of Robert and John Carr.
Thomas Yarborough married Joanna, the third daughter of Tobiah Harvey of Womersley, and they had several children, but only two survived their father: Anne (1728-1793) and Elizabeth (1729-1801). Anne and Elizabeth Yarborough both died unmarried, having appointed one of their relations on their mother's side, George Cooke of Streetthorpe (1737-1818), to succeed them. George Cooke obtained royal permission to take the name and arms of Yarborough on 5 July, 1802 and was thereafter known as George Cooke-Yarborough. In 1764 he married Mary, the daughter of Richard Sare Newsome, and they had several children, including his heir John Cooke-Yarborough (1765-1836) and his third son, George Cooke of Carr House (who died in 1842).
Before succeeding to the Campsmount estate, John Cooke-Yarborough may have become bankrupt in 1818. A bank in which he had invested substantial sums of money, possibly experienced financial difficulties; a not uncommon event in the period following the Napoleonic Wars. The bank may even have been Yarborough & Co., which was founded by his father, George Cooke in 1785.
John Cooke-Yarborough married his second cousin, Mary, the daughter if the Reverend George Cooke, rector of Darfield. They had five sons (George, John, Edward, Richard and Charles) and six daughters (Mary, Anna, Frances, Emma, Louisa and Harriet).
After the death of John Cooke-Yarborough, his son, George (1794-1870), inherited the estate. On 16 May 1837, George married his first cousin, Emily Sarah, the daughter of George Cooke of Carr House. She died without issue in 1840, and George married a second time in 1842. His second wife was Mary Louisa, the daughter of Richard Heathfield of Green Lanes, Middlesex. They had five surviving children: George Bryan (1843-1915), Alfred (1847-1925), Arthur (1852-1933), Julia Elizabeth and Gertrude Flora.
George Bryan Cooke-Yarborough was the heir to the Campsmount estate, and in 1871 he married Mary Elizabeth, the daughter of Henry Yarborough Parker of Streetthorpe. Their children were: George Eustace (1876-1938), Henry Alfred (1877-1947), Orfeur Frederic (1878-1965), Humfrey Charles, (1880-1955) Edmund Selwyn (1882-1914), Geoffrey Arthur (1883-1946), Mary Alice (died unmarried in 1969) and Mary Violet (died unmarried in 1965).
George Eustace succeeded to the Campsmount estate in 1915. He had married Daphne Isabel, the daughter of Henry Cordy Wrinch in 1914, and in 1918 they had a son, Edmund Harry.