Middlesex Petty and Special Sessions, Area of Westminster
County of London Petty and Special Sessions, Area of Westminster
Administrative / biographical background:
Until 1888 Petty and Special Sessions in Westminster came under the jurisdiction of Middlesex. Then, in 1889 the administration of these sessions passed to the newly created County of London. Under both authorities the business of Petty Sessions and Special Sessions was carried out locally by magistrates. Westminster was divided into areas roughly based on the civil parishes of St James, St Margaret, St Martin in the Fields, St George Hanover Square, and the Strand division, which seems to cover St Paul Covent Garden, St Clement Danes and St Mary le Strand. From 1959 the Sessions come under the heading of Westminster Division. After the local government reorganization of 1965 the old boroughs of St Marylebone and Paddington are included in the Westminster Division. There are also two registers for the St Marylebone Division before 1965.