The Records of Anglian Water Authority (later Anglian Water Services Ltd) were deposited in the Bedfordshire Record Office via Brian Lodge between 5th November 1980 and 20th December 1995.
Water resources management
Administrative / biographical background:
Biggleswade Water Board was set up under the Biggleswade Water Act 1901, which authorised the constitution of a joint Board with powers to construct works of water supply to the district. The Biggleswade Rural District Water Committee was called the Prescribed Parishes Committee until June 1953.
Clapham Road Treatment Works was opened in 1960, supplying Bedford, Kempston and most of Bedford Rural District.
Bedfordshire Water Board was formed in 1966 by the amalgamation of Mid-Bedfordshire and North Bedfordshire Water Boards. Bedford and the northern part of the county being supplied with water from the Board's source on the River Great Ouse at Clapham Road, Bedford. The Board has eight other sources where water is pumped from boreholes in the Lower Greensand. These works are at Linslade, Leighton Buzzard, Birchmoor (Aspley Guise), Pulloxhill, Clophill, Meppershall, Newspring and Dunton.