The earliest record in this collection dates from 1917 and most material is from the 1930s or later. No minutes are held and business records later than 1970 have been retained by Arjo Wiggins. A list of the material was made at the time of its transfer to the National Paper Museum Trust a copy of which will be found in an appendix at the end of this catalogue.
1920 - 1990
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Share Records D/200/1-5
Accounting Records D/200/6-52
Cash Books D/200/38-48
Employees Records D/200/53
Production Records D/200/54-78
Information on the history of the mill is taken from "Watermills of Buckinghamshire", typescript, n.d., compiled by H.E.S. Simmons a copy of which is on the searchroom shelves.
Wycombe Marsh Paper Mills Ltd, 1937-1994, papermakers
National Paper and Pulp Co Ltd, 1917-1937
Immediate source of acquisition:
The earlier records of the business were donated to the National Paper Museum Trust who in turn gave them to Buckinghamshire Record Office.
Administrative / biographical background:
There had been a mill at Wycombe Marsh since at least the eleventh century, although its early history is obscure. Originally it was used to grind corn but by the time of a sale of 1830 it is being described as a water, corn and paper mill. In a later sale of 1837 only the paper mill is mentioned. In 1850 it was purchased by Henry Wheeler, later Henry Wheeler & Co, who with his son carried out some rebuilding. The mill was sold in 1898 to Messrs Albert E. Reed & Co., a company based in Kent which demolished most of the older buildings. The company was taken over in 1917 by Messrs G.H. Wilkinson and was soon re-formed as the National Paper & Pulp Co. Ltd. In 1937 it became Wycombe Marsh Paper Mills Ltd, a subsidiary of Bunzl Pulp and Paper Ltd.
In 1994 Bunzl sold the papermaking business to Arjo Wiggins S.A. and the machines and equipment were transferred to a site in France.
Papers manufactured are said to have included imitation parchment, serviette-tissues and industrial papers.