Many records relating to the Cathedral after 1914 can be found among the parish records of St James (FL 541): in particular registers of baptisms, banns, marriages, confirmation and services, PCC minutes, offertory books, faculties, visitors' books and parish magazines.
When the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich was created in 1914 the parish church of St James in Bury St Edmunds became the Cathedral Church of the new diocese. The Cathedral's governing body was the Chapter: in 1936 the Cathedral Council was established, to act as the Chapter's administrative arm.
The parish of St James continued to exist and from 1929 the Vicar of St James was also styled Provost of the Cathedral. The Parochial Church Council was abolished in 1967 and its functions transferred to the Cathedral Council.