This collection comprises the title deeds to the manor of Aston, Aston Bury [which was known as Astonbury Farm during the greater part of the period covered by the deeds], Aston House [described before c 1800 in deeds of title merely as the capital messuage near the church, or at the church-gate] and the advowson of the rectory of Aston.
The manor was granted to Reading Abbey by Queen Adeliza in 1136, the grant being confirmed by Stephen in 1139. It remained in the possession of the Abbey until the dissolution.
In 1540 the crown granted the manor to Sir Philip Boteler of Watton Woodhall, and it remained in the Butler family, following the descent of Watton Woodhall, until 1778 when it was sold to Sir Thomas Rumbold, and subsequently passed through various hands.
Because of this long connection with the neighbouring manor of Watton Woodhall, many title deeds, court rolls and then documents relating to the property, of dates preceding 1778, are to be found in the collection of documents from the Abel Smith estates [AS 1-4101]. Several cross-references to this collection have been given in this inventory.
The advowson followed the descent of the manor of Aston until 1801 when it was sold separately, but was reunited with the lordship of the manor in 1913, when it was acquired by Mr V A Malcomson, who had purchased Astonbury in 1907, and the lordship of the manor in 1914