The following items were donated by D.S. Inman, Esq.
Administrative / biographical background:
Established by William Inman in 1850 as the Liverpool, New York and Philadelphia Steamship Co. In 1875, the Company was re-established under the title of Inman Steamship Co. Ltd. It was taken over by the International Navigation Co. in 1886 and the title was Inman and International Steamship Co. Ltd. In 1893 it became known as the 'American Line'. The last of its services was taken over by the White Star Line in 1923.