By the beginning of the nineteenth century a number of Chester Charities were managed by the Corporation of Chester. The Charity Commissioners enquiring in 1837 found 34 such Charities. However, they were critical of the management of the Charities and subsequently, under the Municipal Corporations Act, towns such as Chester were deprived of the administration of Charities and bodies and Trustees established instead.
In Chester this board of Trustees comprised local 'noblemen and gentlemen' including members of the City Council. Birch Cullimore, Solicitors, act as Clerks to the Trustees of the Chester Municipal Charities.