This collection contains corporate, accounts and staff and premises records. Corporate records include minutes of Board meetings and Directors' meetings. It also includes the minutes book of Pelican Caterers Limited, the meetings of which were held at the Cannon Brewery. Staff and accounts records include a salaries ledger and a volume of annual returns. Premises records include documents relating to brewery premises and individual public houses with title deeds and plans, tenancy agreements and documents relating to the transfer of properties with Ind Coope Limited after Cannon Brewery was acquired
1787 - 1991
This collection has been divided into three series, corporate, accounts and staff and premises, to reflect the nature of the records
Cannon Brewery Company Limited was established by Rivers Dickinson at 192 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London around 1720. It was named the Cannon Brewery in 1751. The company has operate under various names. By 1798 it was trading under the name John Richard and Rivers Dickinson and by 1818 as John Dickinson. The brewery was run by Gardner and Company by 1823 and known as William and Philip Gardner from 1828/9.
By 1863 the business was owned by George Hanbury and Barclay Field and in 1876 it became the Cannon Brewery Company. It was registered as a limited liability company in January 1895.
The Cannon Brewery Company Limited acquired Holt and Company, Marine Brewery, Radcliffe Road, East Ham, London (established circa 1823) in 1913 and Clutterbuck and Company, Stanmore Brewery, Stanmore Hill, Harrow, Middlesex (established circa 1773) in 1923. The Taylor Walker and Company Limited, Limehouse, London acquired the Cannon Brewery Company Limited in 1930 and it became known as Ind Coope (London) Limited in 1960. The brewery ceased to brew in 1955.