This series consists of miscellaneous Admiralty papers from the High Court of Admiralty, and the Supreme Court of Judicature, High Court of Justice, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division.
In addition to papers relating to the jurisdiction of the courts, the series includes the following:
- accounts in respect of ships detained under embargoes, 1806 to 1840.
- affidavits, 1662 to 1807.
- an apprentices' (fishermen) register, 1639 to 1644.
- letters of attorney (prize), 1700 to 1858.
- bail bonds (prize agents), 1803 to 1827.
- marked cause books, 1860 to 1868.
- correspondence register concerning appeals business before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, 1861 to 1902.
- records concerning droits, 1608 to 1833.
- proceedings in foreign courts or languages, c1550 to 1778.
- draft instruments etc, 1773 to 1855.
- intercepted mails and papers, 1652 to 1811 [these are beng recatalogued from 2017].
- judges' order books, 1860 to 1880.
- list of records in Admiralty registry in 1878, keyed with current HCA references.
- naval prize account registers, 1855 to 1916.
- prize minute books, 1779 to 1827.
- notes by Sir John Nicholl and Dr James Henry Arnold on Admiralty etc cases, 1781 to 1838.
- precedents and papers relating to the office of Admiralty Marshal, 1772 to 1882.
- printed and unprinted case papers, 1856 to 1948.
- prize claims 1643 to 1703.
- prize commissions, c1660 to 1820.
- prize etc registers, 1854 to 1916.
- proctors' appointments and admissions 1727 to 1841, and certificates sent to them from Navy Pay Office to enable next of kin of seamen dying intestate to obtain letters of administration, 1795 to 1807.
- prohibitions from King's Bench and other courts against Admiralty jurisdiction, 1531 to 1645.
- registers and copies of instruments and documents exhibited, 1625 to 1776.
- registrar's draft reports and other records including precedents and office appointments, 1649 to 1926.
- ships' books and papers, 1624 to 1818 [these are beng recatalogued from 2017].
- ships' logs, 1862 to 1888.
- slave trade papers and proceedings, 1805 to 1877.
- Vice-Admiralty courts' papers, 1740 to 1860.
- including some arising from the enquiries of the commissioners on fees, 1832.
- summaries of proceedings of the wreck commissioner, 1876 to 1880.
- warrants for appointments, 1604 to 1853.
This series is included in the Prize Papers Project: please be aware that pieces may be withdrawn from consultation for some months, for detailed cataloguing and digitisation. Although with prior warning we may be able to accommodate researchers, we cannot guarantee this and it cannot be done on Saturdays.
High Court of Admiralty, 1340-1875
Supreme Court of Judicature, High Court of Justice; Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division, 1875-1970