Catalogue description New Street Commissioners: Records
|Title:||New Street Commissioners: Records|
The records in this series comprise minute books, correspondence and registers of in-letters and entry books of out-letters of the New Street Commissioners, and abstracts of title and accounts, all relating to the making of Regent Street in London.
CRES 26/17 and 18 contain the texts of letters received by the commissioners. The letters include those to the solicitor acting on behalf of the commissioners (Gilbert Jones of Salisbury Square in 1813), to the Treasury and to John Nash, the architect (and deputy surveyor general from 1813-1815). The letters cover a wide range of subjects including the valuation, purchase and sale of property and the negotiations involved, the transmission of contracts, the sale of tenants' fixtures and requests by tenants to remain in scheduled property until the date of demolition. The volumes are indexed by name.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Former reference in The National Archives:||LRRO 53|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
New Street Commissioners, 1813-
|Physical description:||257 boxes and volumes|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The New Street Commissioners were appointed to carry into execution the New Street Act of 1813 (53 Geo III, c121) for making a more convenient communication from Marylebone Park and the northern parts of London then in the parish of St Marylebone to Charing Cross in the Liberty of Westminster, and for making a more convenient sewage system for the same.
An act of 1826 (7 Geo IV, c77) made the same commissioners responsible for the creation of a new communication from Pall Mall and the then western parts of London to the Strand and the more eastern parts of the metropolis.
By these acts (and subsequent amendment acts) were created Trafalgar Square, Duncannon Square, Duncannon Street, Pall Mall East, Regent Street, (including Lower Regent Street) and the northern portion of Waterloo Place; and Charles II Street, Pall Mall, Bedford Street, Chandos Street, Cockspur Street, Downing Street, Jermyn Street, King Street, St Martin's Lane and the Strand were widened or extended.
The commissioners appointed were the Commissioners for Woods, Forests and Land Revenues for the time being. The first three appointed were Lord Glenbervie, William Dacres Adams and Henry Dawkins.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know