Catalogue description Maps and plans extracted to flat storage from records of departments not assigned an individual map extract prefix
|Title:||Maps and plans extracted to flat storage from records of departments not assigned an individual map extract prefix|
This is one of 35 artificial accumulations created by the Public Record Office during the twentieth century to cater for maps, plans and drawings extracted from records following transfer to the Office, primarily as a preservation measure, usually if the item when opened exceeded the overall size of the document of which it formed part.
Maps, plans and drawings extracted by the Public Record Office (PRO) were originally allocated a two-part location code, consisting of a prefix and serial number. In this case MPI denoted material extracted from records of various departments which were not originally expected to contain large numbers of maps, to flat storage in double elephant plan chests, with drawers measuring internally 813 mm x 1118 mm (32 ins x 44 ins). The location codes came to be treated as document references. In 1998 the decision was taken to change them to standard three-part PRO references, the prefix becoming a department reference, containing a single series in which each serially-numbered extract is a piece.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Records unless otherwise stated|
|Language:||English and Miscellaneous|
Public Record Office, 1838-2003
|Physical description:||1 series|
|Access conditions:||Subject to 30 year closure|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know