Following the Second World War, government responsibility for the development of guided weapons and electronics was vested in the Ministry of Supply. An Electronics and Guided Weapons Division was established within this ministry and a Controller of Guided Weapons and Electronics was appointed to oversee all aspects of UK research and production.
In 1959 the Ministry of Supply absorbed the civil aviation responsibilities of the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation, and became the Ministry of Aviation. During the 1960s, the Guided Weapons and Electronics Division continued its work as part of this new ministry. In addition to the development, production and testing of guided weapons and electronics for use by the armed forces, the division was also active in the fields of telecommunications, civil aviation electronic systems and space research.
The Guided Weapons and Electronics Division was transferred to the Ministry of Technology in 1967. In 1970 the division came briefly within the short-lived Ministry of Aviation Supply, prior to the establishment of the Ministry of Defence Procurement Executive in 1971.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know