Catalogue description War Office, Army Air Transport Training and Development Centre and predecessor, and Air Ministry, Transport Command Development Unit and successors: Reports

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of AIR 66
Reference: AIR 66
Title: War Office, Army Air Transport Training and Development Centre and predecessor, and Air Ministry, Transport Command Development Unit and successors: Reports
Description:

This series consists of a selection of reports of the Army Airborne Transport Development Centre, the Army Air Transport Training and Development Centre, the Transport Command Development Unit and the Air Transport Development Flight. Most of the reports concern technical trials of a wide range of equipment and operations, including the parachuting of ammunition and other equipment.

Date: 1944-1992
Related material:

Related material can be found in:

AIR 38

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Physical description: 779 files and volumes
Access conditions: Open unless otherwise stated
Immediate source of acquisition:

Ministry of Defence , from 1981

Accruals: Series is accruing
Administrative / biographical background:

In January 1944 the RAF's AFTDU was renamed Air Transport Tactical Development Unit (ATTDU) and moved to Netheravon: in August 1945 it was styled Transport Command Development Unit (TCDU) moving successively to Harwell November 1945 and Brize Norton January 1946.

In May 1946 AATDC also moved to Brize Norton to co-operate with TCDU, being joined by an American Airborne Detachment. Keeping the same abbreviation, AATDC was re-styled Army Airtransport Training Development Centre in June 1949, moving with TCDU to RAF Abingdon. In March 1951 AATDC moved to RAF Old Sarum working with Joint Warfare Establishment there.

TCDU was replaced in 1950 by an Air Transport Development Flight (within Flying Wing RAF Abingdon) achieving status of a separate unit October 1951 as the Transport Command Development Flight (TCDF), moving to Benson in January 1956 and disbanding in February 1957.

It was reformed as the Air Movements Development Unit (AMDU) at Abingdon in March 1958 being renamed in May 1965 the Air Transport Development Unit (ATDU).

The Joint Helicopter Development Unit (JHDU) was formed in 1968 at Old Sarum as part of JATE absorbing AATDC's Helicopter Section. Subsequently it was decided to base JATE at Abingdon. Accordingly HQ JATE moved there in 1970, the remaining elements following between April 1971 and February 1973. By then AATDC and ATDU had effectively been merged. The 1974 Defence Review led to the transfer of JATE to Brize Norton between November 1975 and February 1976, with December 1975 as the formal date for the establishment of HQ JATE at Brize Norton.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research