Contains papers, files and reports of the atomic atmospheric trials carried out by the UK Government in the Monte Bello Islands, Emu Field, Maralinga and Christmas Island. They cover the preparation, transport, trials and clean up operations.
The following operations were carried out:
HURRICANE: 3 October 1952; 25 kilotonne bomb dropped on HMS Plym, in the Monte Bello Islands, off the coast of Western Australia.
TOTEM: 14 and 26 October 1953; two smaller bombs, Emu Field near Woomera, South Australia.
MOSAIC: 16 May and 19 June 1957; 15 kilotonne bombs dropped off Trimouille Island and 60 kilotonne bomb dropped off Alpha Island, Monte Bello.
GRAPPLE SERIES off Christmas Island:
- Short Granite: 15 May 1957; off Malden Island.
- Grapple X: 8 November 1957.
- Grapple Y: 23 April 1958.
- Grapple Z: 22 August, 2, 11 and 23 September 1958.
MARALINGA EXPERIMENTAL PROGRAMME (1955-1963): minor trials including:
- BUFFALO: 27 September, 4, 11 and 22 October 1956; first drop test at Maralinga.
- ANTLER: 14 and 25 September and 9 October 1957; Maralinga.
Clean up of the Maralinga and Emu Field sites: Operation BRUMBY, April-July 1967.