This series contains Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service (CRS 10 forms).
The Fifth Register records on a standard form (CRS 10) the service of individual merchant seamen and lists the ships on which they served with relevant dates.
The CRS 10s give personal details of each seaman; the front page of the service entries includes:
- date of birth;
- place of birth;
- discharge A number;
- rank or rating, with relevant certificate details;
- details of any other qualifications;
- date CRS 10 first page was created;
- British Seamen's Identity Card Notations. The entries refer to correspondence and issuing of cards, certificates, applications etc. The originals in general do not survive except where they have been filed in the seaman's pouch.
The continuation pages show:
- a list of ships and their official numbers with date and place of engagement;
- rank or rating;
- F or H (for Foreign or Home trade voyage);
- date and place of discharge from the ship;
- character grade;
- National Insurance contribution code;
- Registry clerk's initials and date of the entry;
- when ashore the sheet may bear the entry MNRP (Merchant Navy Reserve Pool) with date and place.
This information about service was extracted from ship's logs and crew agreements lodged by ship owners. The information contained in the register is used to verify entitlement to wartime service medals.
The Fifth Register was maintained in a number of parts or sub-series as follows:
Part 1: European origin mainly : covering mainly Europeans and mainly the period from 1941 to approximately 1946, although some late 1940s and 1950s records can also be found. Pieces BT 382/1-2022 and BT 382/3289.
Part 2: European origin mainly: covering mainly Europeans and mainly the period from 1946 to 1972., although some records covering the Second World War period can also be found. From piece BT 382/2023.
Part 3: Asian : Asiatic seamen, mostly from the Indian sub-continent, from 1942 to 1965. From piece BT 382/3079.
Part 4: Asian (excluding Chinese) : Asiatic seamen, mostly from the Indian sub-continent, from 1966 to 1972. From piece BT 382/3119.
Part 5: Indian, Chinese and foreign nationals : Indian, Chinese and foreign national seamen, unnumbered series (as service was only of brief duration a discharge book/seamen's number were not allocated), mainly from 1941 to 1972, although the records of Chinese seaman cover the period 1945-1972. From piece BT 382/3138. Anglicised spelling of patronyms and forenames.
Part 6: Prisoners of War and Internees : Prisoners of war and internees; Europeans, Lascars (Indians), Adenese, Goanese and Chinese, from 1940 to 1945. From piece BT 382/3232.
Part 7: Men on requisitioned merchant vessels : Records of those men who served on merchant vessels requisitioned for war services. From piece BT 382/3252.
Part 8: Death records for pension purposes : Records of the deaths of Merchant Seamen recorded for pension purposes for the Ministry of Pensions, from 1944 to 1951. From piece BT 382/3285.