Intelligence reports on foreign (European) air forces produced by the Air Section. To aid the understanding of these reports, a number of working aids and orders of Battle are also included, also some correspondence files relating to the reports.
The reports are copies of teleprinted reports to Service Ministries on the activities primarily of the Italian Air Force, both before and during the Second World War. Information on pre-war activities include operations in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, also activity in North Africa, the Aegean and Ethiopia. Information on war time activities includes operations in Africa, the Aegean, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily and mainland Italy, also operations in Russia.
Information on other air force activities in reports comprises:
- the Spanish Air Forces (Nationalist and Insurgent) during the Spanish Civil War and the Spanish Air Forces subsequently between 1941 and 1945;
- some activity by the German Air Force in the Spanish Civil War and in and around Europe, prior to and in the early stages of the Second World War - operations by the German Air Forces in North Africa and the Mediterranean are to some extent covered by the Italian Air Force reporting;
- Russian operations in Finland in 1940;
- French activity in the Mediterranean, 1939-1943;
- Portuguese Air Force between August 1943 and October 1944
The reports describe combat operations, transport flights, accidents, deployments and other order of battle changes, readiness states of aircraft and air crews, fuel situations at individual airfields and attaché reports (those from the Italian Air Attaché in Tokyo described Japanese operations in the Far East).
The reports are all based on decrypts of medium/low grade cipher messages: some are verbatim copies of translations while others are paraphrases of the original text.