Catalogue description Ordnance Survey of Great Britain: Tithe Survey Boundary Maps
|Title:||Ordnance Survey of Great Britain: Tithe Survey Boundary Maps|
'Index to Tithe Survey': a near-complete set of the sheets of the Ordnance Survey one-inch Old Series England and Wales south of a line between Preston and Hull, with tithe district boundaries added. The maps are printed as either full sheets or quarter sheets; the latter include a place name (usually a large town near the centre of the combined quarter sheets) as part of the sheet reference. All sheets except XLVII have full 'piano-key borders'. The maps were originally prepared and plotted in the late 1840s. Many sheets, including all of those south of the line between Aberystwyth and Birmingham, were engraved between 1849 and 1853, although a few of the southern sheets in this set are later, electrotyped versions. The printing was probably completed between 1865 and 1867; the majority of the sheets in this set north of the Aberystwyth-Birmingham line were electroplated in the 1860s.
Pieces 197-201 are copies of five of the base sheets, lacking the printed tithe district boundaries but bearing various coloured MS additions.
The material in this series is non record material originally held in the Library of The National Archives.
For a set of Ordnance Survey one-inch scale maps with tithe district boundaries plotted in coloured MS, see IR 105
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Non record material|
|Physical description:||187 flat sheet(s)|
|Physical condition:||Engraved and electrotyped, coloured|
For background information and discussion, see Roger J P Kain and Richard R Oliver, The tithe maps of England and Wales: a cartographic analysis and county-by-county catalogue (Cambridge, 1995), Appendix 2
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know