Catalogue description South Eastern Railway Company

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of RAIL 635
Reference: RAIL 635
Title: South Eastern Railway Company
Description:

This series contains minutes of general and directors' meetings, some of which are indexed, and the minutes of various committees. It also includes deeds, agreements, contracts, specifications, estimates and plans, locomotive and rolling stock records, staff records, accountants records and marine records, relating to steam packets. RAIL 635/395-8 are wanting.

Date: 1750-1950
Arrangement:

Pieces are listed in the order given to them by the former British Transport Historical Records Office

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department: SER.
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Creator:

South Eastern Railway Company, 1836-1923

Physical description: 466 files and volumes
Access conditions: Subject to 30 year closure unless otherwise stated
Administrative / biographical background:

The SER was incorporated by the South Eastern Railway Act 1836 which authorised the Construction of a railway commencing by a junction with the proposed London and Croydon Railway at Croydon and terminating at Arch Cliff near Old Road between Dover and Folkestone. An act of the following year changed the northern terminus to, again, a junction with the London and Croydon Railway but this time at Penge Common in the Parish of Battersea.

Other schemes were also being promoted at the same time and eventually, Parliament insisted on one, shared route to London from Kent. The SER agreed to this and became responsible for the length between Stoat's Nest and Earlswood Common, some 6.5 miles. Along with the three other participating companies (the London & Greenwich, London & Croydon and London & Brighton Railways), the SER gained access to London Bridge Station. The railway from Earlswood Common to Dover would be the SER's own railway upon which the other three companies would not run.

The line was opened in sections and completed by 7 Feb 1844.

The SER gained further acts to extend its lines and also took over and leased other railway companies until it finally owned nearly 383 miles of line with a further 23 miles jointly owned with other companies by 1898. It also leased or rented 16 miles. After taking over the Whitstable Lines and the Continental Stream Packet in 1853, the SER also had an interest in shipping, especially ferries to the Continent.

Under the powers of the South Eastern and London, Chatham and Dover railway companies Act 1899, the SER's undertaking was merged with that of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company's under the control of the South Eastern and Chatham railway companies' Managing Committee. However, the SER remained an independent company until it was, with its partner and other companies, grouped by virtue of the Railways (Southern Group) Amalgamation Scheme 1922 to form the Southern Railway Company on 1 Jan 1923.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research