Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
Incorporated as the East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway Company by act of 26th August 1846.
Under the East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway Branches & Amendment Act 15th July 1850 power was given to lease the railway and works to the London and North Western Railway Company.
The name of the company was amended under Section 2 of the North London Railway Act of 8th July 1853 to the North London Railway Company.
By the Act of 18th June 1883 the London & North Western Railway Company was empowered to raise £168,193 for subscription to the undertaking, and by the Act of 31st July 1885 the London & North Western Railway Company were empowered to hold further capital in the North London Railway.
An Agreement, sanctioned by meetings of proprietors of the North London and London & North Western railway companies on the 17th and 18th December 1908 respectively, came into operation on 1st February 1909. The Agreement was sanctioned by the Railway Commissioners on the 20th January 1909. It provided for the working of the Railway by staff of the London & North Western Railway Company though the company remained a separate undertaking with its own Board of Directors.
The North London Railway Company was vested in the London Midland & Scottish Railway Company as from 1st January 1923.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know