The Ambergate, Nottingham and Boston and Eastern Junction Railway Company was incorporated under the Ambergate, Nottingham and Boston and Eastern Junction Railway Act 16th July 1846.
By this act, the Grantham Canal Company and the Nottingham Canal Company were to be vested in the railway company on completion of oustanding conveyances.
The Committee of Management of the canal companies required them to continue as bodies corporate until all debts etc had been received or recovered but not beyond the period of 3 years, after which time, the canal companies were to be dissolved.
Completion of the conveyances was however delayed owing to lengthy litigation. The completion of the purchase of both canals eventually took place on or about the 2nd January 1855.
By the provisions of the 1846 Act, the name of the company was then changed to The Ambergate, Nottingham and Boston and Eastern Junction Railway and Canal Company.
The company was responsible for the construction of railway track and canal structures in East Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire.
Under the Nottingham and Grantham Railway and Canal Act of 15th May 1860 the name was further changed to the Nottingham and Grantham Railway and Canal Company.
By the Great Northern and Ambergate companies (Working Arrangements) Act of 1854, a lease of the undertaking to the Great Northern Railway Company was authorised and this took effect for 999 years from 1st August 1861.
Under the terms of the London and North Eastern Railway Absorption (No.1) Scheme 29th June 1923 the Nottingham and Grantham Railway and Canal Company was vested in the London and North Eastern Railway Company as from 1st January 1923.