This series relates to the health responsibilities which the Ministry of Pensions assumed in 1917 and those which it kept after 1921. They are concerned specifically with the accommodation of military pensioners of the two World Wars and the pre-1914 period in hospitals and other institutions in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
The file series appears to have been raised in the Hospital Management Branch of the Hospital and Organisation Division of the Ministry's headquarters in Norcross, Blackpool, shortly before the branch's transfer to the Ministry of Health in 1953. Many of the files in the series have been reregistered from an earlier series and they cover the whole period of the Ministry of Pension's responsibility for the treatment of disabled pensioners from 1917, when hospitals were the concern of the Medical Services Division, through the transfer of this work to the Local Administration and Organisation and Establishment Divisions which were based at Norcross from the 1940s. There are also some post 1953 files when the branch was part of the Ministry of Health.
As well as general policy matters the files relate to specific hospitals, such as Stoke Mandeville, and the hospitals for Polish nationals at Penley and Iscoyd Park, North Wales, which were set up under the Polish Resettlement Act 1947 and which the Ministry administered on behalf of the Ministry of Health during the period 1947-1953. They are also concerned with the provision of general practitioners in Ireland and with the transfer of hospital staff to the NHS. They include minutes of meetings of the Whitley Council for the Health Service 1948-1958.